MRE or Meal Ready to Eat is a collective meal of different types of food in one package specifically designed for rough conditions.
Where was the MRE Developed?
Research for the MRE began in 1963, with the goal of reducing the weight of traditional C-Rations. This initial research led to the introduction of the L.R.P. (Long Range Patrol) ration in 1966. This dehydrated meal, kept in a canvas pouch, proved to be too expensive to become standard issue.
Meet the father of the MRE
Dr. Abdul Rahman began working on the MRE in 1975, after leaving his home in Iraq in search of greater personal freedom. He later received the Meritorious Civilian Service award for his work on the project.
Rahman invented the process of freeze-drying food. The research was intended to render a food that could be safely taken into space, but also led to the creation of the MRE.
The MRE would support its first major conflict in Operation Desert Storm, the very place Rahman fled. Rahman was forbidden from working within the government due to having married a foreigner.
When was the MRE Adopted?
The MRE’s first adoption was by Long Range Patrols in the Vietnam War. This was, however, limited due to the heightened cost of making and storing dried foods.
Full scale production did not begin until 1978, and the MRE was not standard issue until 1986.
After observations during Operation Desert Storm, the US Army made a number of improvements to the MRE. These included the flame-less ration heater, shelf stable bread, wet-packed fruit instead, freeze dried coffee, candy, and hot sauce.
Each meal packs 1200 calories and has a shelf life of 10 years.
What did the MRE replace?
In the days of the Civil War, military rations generally consisted of salted meat, hard bread, and pressed cubes of vegetables. Typically beans, rice, coffee, vinegar and salt would be received intermittently in bulk.
World War 1 saw the advent of canned food, and soldiers received their first canned rations. Throughout the conflict, the rations shrank in size.
During World War 2, soldiers were issued K-rations, D-rations and C-rations. Breakfast, chocolate, and lunch/dinner respectively. These rations were nutritious, yet bulky and loud.
The Korean and Vietnam wars saw the MCI (Military Combat Individual). Soldiers still referred to these as C-rations, as they resembled them in just about every respect.
All of these were eventually replaced with the modern MRE, which you can purchase from Venture Surplus here.
Quick Clot Combat Gauze, Army IFAK Med Supplies, Z-Folded$29.99 Select options
Quick Clot Combat Gauze, Army IFAK Med Supplies, Z-Folded
- NSN: 6510-01-562-3325
- Size: 3-inch x 4-yard
*By purchasing this device the user is acknowledging that this medical device requires users to have the training as (or supervision) of a medical practitioner. Ensuring this supervision and training is your responsibility.
By ordering this item, customer warrants that they have the required training and authorization to use this item. Venture Surplus assumes no liability for its misuse.$29.99
Cloth Face Mask$9.99 – $11.99 Select options
Cloth Face Mask
$9.99 – $11.99
- PLEASE WASH MASKS BEFORE USING! AIR DRY AFTER WASHING–DO NOT PUT IN DRYER
- Adult Sized Cloth Face Mask
- Offers BASIC Protection
- Two Layers Of Sown Fabric
- Elastic Bands For Wear Over Ears and will fit over beards
- These Masks Are Proudly Made In Colorado!
- These Are Made In Limited Batches So Check Back Daily For Restock!
- There Are Slight Variations Between Each Mask, Such As The Thread Color And Color Of The Back
NOROTOS Titanium Rhino Mount II H, NVG Lowering Arm$109.99 Select options
NOROTOS Titanium Rhino Mount II H, NVG Lowering Arm
- Rhino Mount will accept any night vision device or adapter with a standard bayonet interface.
- Auto shut-off feature that will turn off the night vision device when it is flipped up over the helmet so the lit-up green glow from the eye piece lens does not show down-range.
- Arm articulates with a “force to overcome” motion meaning the user simply pushes the device upward or down into position
- Improved bi directional lock lever for vertical adjustment and improved turn eye relief lever.
- Optimized for use with PVS 7/14 Binocular & Monocular Systems on the Army ACH and MICH
- Norotos’ Patented Force-to-Overcome (FTO) Flip-up/ Flip-down use and stowage.
- Multi-adjustment tilt options for maximum eye comfort.
- Quick Release equipped.
- Automatic shut off.
USMC M16/M4 Speed Reload Pouch, Coyote$2.99 – $5.99 Select options
Matech BUIS Assembly, Rear Back Up Iron Sight$69.99 Select options
Skydex Ballistic Helmet Pads$17.99 Select options
Skydex Ballistic Helmet Pads
- Superior impact absorption across a wide range of temperatures
- Less behind armor deformation than traditional foam
- Moisture-wicking fabric with breathable interior components that keep heads cool and dry
- Easy-to-wash, quick-drying pads
- A slim design allowing more room for a comfort layer
- Berry Amendment Compliant
USGI .50 Cal 100 Round Ammo Can, 2 Pack$29.99 – $35.99 Select options
USGI .30 Cal 200 Round Ammo Can, 2 Pack$29.99 Select options
Gerber eFect Tool 30-000030, Weapon Maintenance ToolSale!
$69.99Add to cart
Gerber eFect Tool 30-000030, Weapon Maintenance Tool
- Front sight adjustment tool in 5 and 4 pin configuration, magnetic attachment can be flipped around or replaced
- Built for the M16, A4 and M4
- Pin punch for receiver pins
- Heavy duty carbon and bore scraper
- Compact size with molle sheath
- Original box not included
- NSN: 5120-01-578-4888
- Part Number: GERBER30000030
Army PT Shorts, IPFU Physical Fitness Training Trunks, Black$11.99 Select options
Army PT Shorts, IPFU Physical Fitness Training Trunks, Black
- Elastic Waist
- ID Pocket (Right side)
- Hidden key pocket
- Water Resistant (excellent for swimming)
- Reflective ARMY lettering
- Athletic shorts designed for comfort
M40 Dynamic Gas Mask MicrophoneSale! $7.79 – $12.99 Select options
Sew On Flag Patch, Reverse – 10 PackSale!
$14.99Add to cart
MASSIF Army Combat Shirt with Army Strong LogoSale!
MASSIF Army Combat Shirt with Army Strong Logo
- Genuine Army Issue
- Full flame-resistant construction with proprietary Massif fabrics
- Lightweight, ultra-breathable and wicking torso fabric
- Durable, breathable sleeve fabric
- 4-way-stretch fabrics
- Seamless side-panel construction increases comfort under armor
- Velcro loop for name, rank, flag, and unit tape
- Wrist cuffs adjust for a customizable fit
- Lightweight elbow pads with abrasion-resistant
- Super Fabric technology
- Machine washable